Noxious Weed

ResponsibilitiesMusk Thistle flower examples

The Russell County Noxious Weed Department enforces the State Noxious Weed Law within the county boundaries. This is accomplished by investigating complaints concerning noxious weeds and inspecting farm and pasture ground.

The department also provides information and materials to help control and eradicate noxious weeds. We provide herbicides at our cost. During the growing season, the department sprays all county properties, some township roads, and for KDOT under contract for weed control. Assistance for agricultural landowners with treatment recommendations of noxious weed control is alsoPurple Musk Thistle flower provided.

The department is required to submit an Annual Report to the Kansas Department of Agriculture. Winter months are spent maintaining equipment, compiling reports, continuing education, and snow removal on some county properties.

Review the Noxious Weed Booklet (PDF) (note this is read-only and not for resale or copyright).

Employment Opportunities

Russell County Noxious Weed will post open positions through this website, Russell County News, and Lucas-Sylvan News.

All positions require pre-employment drug screenings and random drug testing.

To apply, please fill out an Employment Application Form (PDF). After the form opens you need to download the file to your computer or device. After opening the downloaded file the form will have boxes to fill in your information. Following the form's completion, use the submit button to send to Russell County Noxious Weed.

Household Hazardous Waste Collection

Pickup for these items is offered twice a year.


Products sold through our office are to control noxious weeds only. If you need chemicals for uses other than noxious weed control, please visit your local chemical supply dealer.

Chemicals available at Russell County Noxious Weed Department are for the treatment of noxious weeds only. All sales are final. When purchasing chemicals, please supply the name of the owner, operator, applicator, legal description of the land, name of weed to be treated, the chemical to be used, and the amount of acres to be treated.

Chemicals Available

  • 2-4-D Amine 4#
  • 2-4-D LV ester 4#
  • 2-4-D LV ester 6#
  • Tordon 22K (Picloram) Restricted Use Chemical
    • (Must have a current Pesticide Applicators Certificate to pick up restricted use chemicals)
  • Dicamba
  • Escort
  • Milestone
  • Oust XP (for Johnson Grass)
  • Pastureguard (for Sericea Lespedeza)
  • Plateau (for Johnson Grass)
  • Remedy (for Sericea Lespedeza only)
  • GrazonNext HL (for Musk Thistle)
  • Glyphosate (Roundup)

Kansas Noxious Weed Laws

The Kansas Noxious Weed Law, K.S.A., Chapter 2, Article 13, requires all persons who own or supervise land in Kansas to control the spread of and to eradicate all weeds declared by legislative action to be noxious. Copies of the State Weed Law are available at the Noxious Weed Office or at the link below.

K.S.A. 2-1330 Entry upon and inspection of property.

County commissioners, township boards, city officials and state, county, and city weed supervisors shall have at all reasonable times, free access to enter upon premises, without interference or obstruction to inspect the property, both real and personal, regardless of location, in connection with the administration of the state weed law. Entry upon such premises in accordance with this act shall not be deemed a trespass.

Musk Thistle examples