Will I be reimbursed by the defendant for my loss?

A victim may be reimbursed for damages or losses suffered as a result of a crime the defendant committed. Restitution is an order of the court which instructs the defendant to compensate the victim. If a defendant is sentenced to prison, the Department of Corrections may require payment of restitution as a condition of post release supervision. To assist the court in determining the amount of restitution, keep any receipts, bills, or estimates regarding the loss. Promptly complete and return the restitution statement to the County Attorney's Office. If a defendant is ordered to pay restitution, the payments will be sent to the Clerk of the District Court. The Clerk of the District Court will then distribute the funds as they receive them. Nonpayment of restitution alone is not a reason to revoke a defendant's probation if the defendant is found unable to pay. The defendant must make a good faith effort to pay. A victim can obtain a civil judgment against a defendant pursuant to K.S.A. 60-4301, by obtaining a certified copy of the Journal Entry of Sentencing and the Order to Pay Restitution and filing them with the Clerk of the District Court.

Show All Answers

1. What is a bond?
2. What is my role as a victim or witness?
3. What if someone threatens me?
4. What is a subpoena?
5. How many times will I have to appear in Court?
6. Will I be notified of court hearings?
7. What if the defense attorney contacts me?
8. What happens to the defendant if he is found guilty?
9. Can the defendant appeal his conviction?
10. What happens after the defendant is in prison?
11. Are juvenile court proceedings and records confidential?
12. When will my property be returned to me?
13. Will I be reimbursed by the defendant for my loss?