What can I do if I believe the value of my home is too high?

There are two ways to challenge the value of your property:

  • You may appeal the "notice of value" of your property by contacting the county appraiser's office by phone or in writing within 30 days of the mailing date of the notice
  • Or you may fill out a "payment under protest" form with the county treasurer at the time you pay your taxes.

If you paid all your taxes prior to December 20th then the protest can be made no later than December 20th (unless an escrow or tax service agent pays your property taxes in full, then no later than January 31st).

You cannot appeal using both methods for the same property in the same tax year. So, if you start to appeal your "notice of value", be sure that you follow through with the appeal. You will not be allowed to "pay under protest" later.

Show All Answers

1. What does my county appraiser do?
2. How does the county's appraisal affect my taxes?
3. When will I be notified of the value of my property?
4. What can I do if I believe the value of my home is too high?
5. What steps do I take to appeal the "notice of value"?
6. What steps do I take to file a payment under protest?
7. What should I expect during an informal meeting?
8. What should I bring to an informal meeting or a hearing?
9. Can someone else attend hearings on my behalf?
10. What is a Kansas Board of Tax Appeals (COTA) hearing like?