What should I bring to an informal meeting or a hearing?

You will want to provide documentation that supports your request for a lower value. Owners who appeal successfully usually do so by finding comparable properties with lower market values or comparable properties that have recently sold for less than the value assigned to their property. Examples of documentation that may be used to support a change in market value include:

  • Recent sales information about property similar in condition, quality, style, age, and location to the property at issue
  • The sales contract for the property if it was purchased within the last three years
  • Photos and contract/engineering estimates of the cost to repair any structural damage if the damage was not fully considered
  • A recent appraisal report of the property at issue prepared by a professional appraiser
  • Rent income and expense information if the property at issue is an income-producing investment (for example, apartment buildings)

The appraiser's office will furnish you with a comparable sales sheet for your property upon request. Allow several days for processing and mail time.

This documentation is not appropriate for agricultural land and commercial personal property appraisals because, by law, such property is not appraised at market value.

Show All Answers

1. What does my county appraiser do?
2. How does the county's appraisal affect my taxes?
3. When will I be notified of the value of my property?
4. What can I do if I believe the value of my home is too high?
5. What steps do I take to appeal the "notice of value"?
6. What steps do I take to file a payment under protest?
7. What should I expect during an informal meeting?
8. What should I bring to an informal meeting or a hearing?
9. Can someone else attend hearings on my behalf?
10. What is a Kansas Board of Tax Appeals (COTA) hearing like?